To create a sustainable environment, Spring Health Initiative has developed a ‘Beat Plastic Pollution Action’ toolkit to help combat plastic pollution in Nigeria.
Spring Health Initiative believes that a safe and sustainable environment is a basic need for well-being and economic growth. One of the key challenges of sanitation in Nigeria today is that of plastic pollution. Our dependence on plastic materials over the decades have left our environment and marine bodies with damages that are heavy to repair.
The kit shows what each person and stakeholder in the society can do to beat plastic pollution disease and prevent further waste build up while efforts are made to mop-up the excess in circulation. One of the challenges that our environment faces today is plastic pollution and that is why the action toolkit was designed. Click to download the Beat Plastic Pollution Toolkit for free.
The benefits of getting the toolkit are:
- It contains a Plastic Calculator Template that users can use to track their plastic consumption rate.
- It shows how individuals and organisations can reduce plastic dependence and pollution.
- It can be used to organize sensitization and advocacy sessions on plastic pollution.
- To inform Nigerians about the cost of plastic waste and how to fight it.
- It is user friendly and easy to understand.
The importance of beating Plastic Pollution are but not limited to:
- Prevention of building greenhouse gases from plastic fragmentation.
- Prevention of clogging of drainage and breeding of disease vectors from illegal dumps.
- Reduction in the cost of waste management from mopping excess plastic wastes.
- Prevention of pollution of land with micro-plastics.
- In food industries, a reduction in plastic packaging helps reduce the chances of leaching toxic chemicals into food, thereby reducing the chances of health complication that may arise from such.
To beat plastic pollution, Government need to put in place laws and policy that minimizes and avoids the use of plastics where possible. Also, manufacturers and designers need to rethink and make plastic products with a circular life cycle that supports use and reuse, and also use alternative materials that can decompose where possible instead of plastics.
The aim of Spring Health Initiative is to improve the quality of life in Nigeria by contributing to three key areas which are:
- Health and Life expectancy
- Capacity development for socioeconomic development.
Spring Health Initiative also founded The Clean and Green Initiative Program which aims at providing clean water and access to improved sanitation in local communities.
What is/are your contribution(s) towards Sustainable Development (Goals) in Nigeria? We would love to publish your good works for free. Comment below or send an email to – email@example.com